Thursday, January 23, 2014

Conversation with Death God

When Mamta's husband returned from Delhi, he complained Delhi is such a polluted city [air pollution]. And I thought all those fairness cream company who do not hesitate to brag giving a fair complexion to dusky brown Indians are actually committed to convert dusky brown Indians to white like native British or Americans within next 10 years.


Corporate house do make a huge bucks fooling us like anything. But lately, fairness cream and a man who is coming in my distant and vague parts of mind is what giving my head spin like anything. A man who looks bit worked on computer’s graphic image have been dancing in my mind and I am trying to understand who is this middle age man with so much energy to keep nagging me with his gleeful look and funny dance.


He bends his legs and dances like the men who dance in our folk dance. Ever since I was child I am a huge fan of folk dance for it being so fast in its move and steps as well as chirpy mood boosting songs, unlike other slow dance move.  What is demanding my attention in his dance steps is, that he has not only been holding a paper all this time  but he is also making efforts to show it to the whole audience.


Seeing the paper from the distance was not helping me to understand what is in that paper. so I have to request him to give it to me, so that I can read it and then figure it out what is written in that paper.


It was a contract paper which he had signed with a rich fairness cream company to supply him lifelong stock, so that; he will look fairer and perhaps look less menacing to those who he will visit next to end life. No ! No ! he is not a doctor but, this document says he is a Hindu death god, our very own Yamraj.


Strange as it may sound but, it made me wonder, why Yamraj has to carry a document that promises him a lifelong supply of fairness cream ? What could be the reason he needs this ? To quench my curiosity I asked him about it.


Despite he being death god, I found him very friendly and candid in his conversation to talk  openly about why he needed to carry with and show it to some selected ones. I came to know that he has heard about the book China Harayeko Manche by Hari Bansha Acharya. After reading it, he seemed bit worried about the revolution the famous comedian wanted to do, to change the god/goddess  or replace them with immediate effect for they treating us like slave. He was not worried about the replacement part but worried more that the famous actor/comedian have demanded his immediate death. So, he got this idea to visit a big fairness cream company and then ask for lifelong supply. He was honest when he admitted threatening the company CEO, “if you do not agree to supply me what I ask for, then be ready to die soon.”


“And they agreed to give you what you asked for ?” I asked him with a quizzy look in my eyes and his brutally honest have power to bring smile on my face. I have to admit it too, his candid manner which he showed in replying my answer just amused me. I asked him again, “but then why it matters to carry this contract paper ? you will still be the death god; black or white, tall or short, handsome or ugly, young or old ?” He was very fast in his response, “Sunita, I know what you mean and also the depth hidden in that question but who will convince the person who wants to change God and demands my immediate death ?” he counter questioned me in his answer and he was wearing very thoughtful look in his eyes when he looked straight in my eyes to see whether I understood him or not. He added further, “Don't get me wrong Sunita, I am not hungry to retain this job of death god but the truth is anyone who replace me, will still do the same work and people still die after birth. Even if they have been loved by people around them. So, whats wrong if I be that person again with slight changes ? But yes this time I will be fairer and younger than before.”


He seemed to be in his chatty mood and his logic have power to grip me  in his talk, so he continued further, “you know what worries me Sunita, if I look fairer or younger, may be women will not hesitate to go with me because of my look. And the problem is,I won't have time to explain them I am not the dream man I am the GOD of death.” “Why don't you explain them ?” I wanted to know.


“My job is to take life, not to explain them why do they die” he looked straight into my eyes to see I have got his point when he said that line. “You don't explain them, then who will explain it to the dying person why they are dying ?”


“You people on earth do that,” he said in very somber tone and then further went on “and find the meaning of life and death. Its not upto us to explain the dying person, why do they die. Death is reality and life is not an eternity and it is inevitable after birth. I know this much.” and then he looked straight in my eyes to see whether I absorbed his pearl of wisdom or not.


After this much talk, he felt comfortable chatting with me and showed me the contract paper with another big corporate house for lifelong supply of wrinkle free cream which will keep him look younger than before. After seeing that paper I asked him, “why do you need it ? why you have to look better than before and younger than ever ?”


“Why not ?” was his counter question again. Then he explained that Haribansha has asked for young and clean image person in the list of god/goddess and even if I am a king of death I am still the god. Therefore, I have to look younger and fairer to meet his search for ‘young and clean image’ god.”


He makes sense as much as Haribansha when he gives us his best comic show, which has power to tickle our funny bones. Just then I woke up from my daytime sleep and shook my head. My god this happens when I read the book by comedian and try to make sense of his thought that has no logic, rationality and sanity. But, I still have to admit it, chatting with yamraj or reading Harhibansha’s book, both equally interesting and brain hammering. As I have been written earlier, there in his book is more than nonsense talk and in every death there is reason to make place for newcomers. Death is reality of life as his new wife tells him and not a terror which the comedian writer believes. Reality is we have to learn to accept it instead of demanding replacement of God/Goddess as there are some power like god which cannot be replaced with another face.

No comments:

Post a Comment