Thursday, December 12, 2013

Good judgement good leadership

Leadership ability is grossly ignored yet highly sought after quality in my country. What is more frustrating is intellectuals not only political journalists or writers but all walk of like only seeks this quality in politicians and not in other areas of life. Some political journalist[s] never get tire using the word leader for politicians who do not have leadership qualities at all; but knows how to play politics to remain in the position for long.


As a blogger, writer I always keep myself away from political talks and topics and I keep writing, politics is not my subject and I don't understand politics. But, the truth is I don't want to understand politics. I avoid it to the max, because it has power to boil my blood and give me high blood pressure, mostly for it being twisted beyond recognition. I have to admit it, there are times, when I really need to know what do they understand and what I fail to understand in politics ?


By now I have learned that its better to avoid journalists, Reporters or correspondents and people who are expert on giving political jargon. I stick with  only those who helps me make sense of the things I need to understand. There are times I have found illiterate politicians making more sense than the well educated journalists, who are asking biased question with half done homeworks. Therefore, for this very reason, its Christiane Amanpour on CNN and Bijay Kumar on his show Dishanirdesh which I stick with to understand that even politicians makes sense.


Early this year, I got a little bit curious to give my time and interest in some news when Khil Raj Regmi a clean image Chief justice became the center of attention due to his name submission by Unified CPN- Maoist. He was chosen from all party to get out from the political deadlock my country was going through for four years, to held a CA election; as four major party could never reach clear consensus.


To keep an eye on this news was not being interested in politics but just being a responsible citizens to know what is going on now and how things will turn out. Because he has been associated with justice department with squeaky clean image so I started reading Ananta Raj Luitel, for he not being a political journalist. I got most of my insights in his news, views and commentary. I kind of read almost all the news that his name was. Of course, I am famous for filtering the nonsense news, just to keep my blood pressure level intact.From very early stage, I had faith in him like all the political party that he is the right person for my country to give us a solution. He did not come from political background nor he is good at politics like others.
 
To my disappointment I got a chance to read mostly negative news and views and protest before and after his posting as the Executive Head of the state. Judges, lawyers, civil rights bodies and other intellects from my country unanimously opposed the decision of Khil Raj Regmi to take the challenge to give this  nation a way out from deadlock situation that never seem to be ending.


If you read closely the the comments and opinions put forth by EX-AG, Ex Supreme court justice and President of Democratic Lawyers association they were all only worried about the possible image tarnishing of judicial institution not the entire nation. Nepal Bar association have come forward to oppose his join in Government.
“When political parties have failed to maintain countries politics, how will Regmi be able to handle the situation ?” asked Sarvgyaratna Tuladhar former attorney general. “since politicians and political parties have failed in the last four years now they want to shift the blame on cj, or the judiciary for that matter, by dangling the prime ministerial post before Regmi” Ex-AG opined.


“I can confidently predict that he would fail [ as the  executive head], and he will make the judiciary a controversial institution.” said Yadunath Khanal President Democratic Lawyers Association.  He also said, “But I don't think he will be able to handle the [political] situation as the executive head for he has failed to put his own house in order - like in relations to addressing judicial affairs”


“He might not be able to deliver what the political parties are expecting. So, the move of making him the prime minister boomerang, jeopardizing the entire judiciary, which could ultimately become a failed institution” a former supreme court justice told Ananta Raj Luitel on his news piece that appeared on the February 22, 2013 on The Himalayan Times.


In other news I read civil rights body lead by Kanak Mani Dixit, who is famous political journalist. He squarely focus on political matter and loves busting scams and hanuman hammer the bloated ego of politicians. What stunned me is when he regrouped his civil rights associates to manage a peaceful protest in Peace Garden [Shanti Batika ] to oppose Khil Raj Regmi lead government. What is so peace about peaceful protest held in Shanti Batika ? and what he knows about the result long before, to doubt his ability  to give us a way out from political deadlock ?. Now when we have fresh result  in hand of his ability to give us what he was trusted, I now doubt this white haired journalist in depth knowledge more than ever. He keeps demanding answer with politician for this and that but I yet have to read his self reflecting and soul searching article on this doubt. He still have not written anything about his doubt, not even four lines on his Facebook status to feel guilty about his protest before the result. Instead he is giving nonstop report on which party own which lose and which nation welcomed our peaceful participation in our election. How can he do so when he keep hammering the politicians non stop and yet he presume he never makes any mistake in his field ? His loud silence on this matter has power to tell, that his fight with politicians seems like clash of ego, rather than helping us to understand the situation from pure white haired journalist angel.
Now after the November 19, 2013 CA Election, I have been reading the Facebook status of not only journalists but many national dailies editors including Kanak Mani Dixit. Strange they are busy reporting which party won and who lost and who got how much vote, totally ignoring who gave us this opportunity to take part in this most peaceful election of our time despite all the doubt put on, not only with him but wild prediction that our mass is not interested in elections anymore and election will not take place in time and things will turn upside down. The  actual result is so opposite to what I have been reading over the period of more than nine months.

Knowing politics, doing politics and playing politics is a whole lot of different things and one do not need to know politics like CJ khil Raj Regmi to lead a nation and give us a way out. He not only accepted the dreadful challenge, as he himself was not sure about accepting this request from the very beginning and he took really long time to make his mind. Khil Raj Regmi is the most undermined and ignored leader. However, he showed this nation how a non-political leader can help this nation give a way out from a political deadlock. This, way out do have power to tell us that good justice always means good leadership.

No comments:

Post a Comment