Sunday, May 26, 2019

Word Game for your child



Dipina Thapa, Age 6
I have found a new word to write Dipina said when she visited me recently. Dipina is just seven year old and like all the bright child she has a sharp mind. Yes, like all the girls she is super chatty, who would like to spend time with me when her mother is busy on her mobile or in her work. Anu is a working mother and who can't give all her time when Dipina is around before or after school hours. That is the time Dipina would like to spend her time with me. I make it sure it's only after school. But, just because Anu do not have time for her does not mean I have all my time for Dipina. I  also have work to do but Dipina is not ashamed to admit, I am your tail and she keeps tagging me even at times I do not not want her around me. There are times when I tell her to leave my room then she won't listen. There are times she won't hesitate to retort, I won't go. What can you do if a child is so attached to you and thinks she is the whole part of our life !

It was then I got one game for Dipina which I was taught by an american teacher when I was before my teen years. I was not that young as Dipina is now. So  this helped me  keep her active mind busy all the time, I mean when I do not want to chat with her or feel disturbed by her presence. In this game we can think of the word and write as many word as you can without adding a single letter that is not in the word we pick up to play with. We started with word elephant in the beginning and then after playing all the words we started playing with her name I mean her full name, Dipina Thapa Magar. For our convenience later on we changed one letter in her name making it Depina so that we can use letter e to form many words. Slowly, Dipina started liking it and got addicted playing with this game. Love it or hate it she stick with her name only, as it gave her more confidence. One of the reason is by now she could remember as much as forty words that came from her name.  As time pass by she could write so many words mostly because her small brain could remember many words we played last time and then fill the page next time we played. With time she progressed so much she can write up to 40 words from her name. She cant form many words if I gave hr new words and she throws the idea of playing with new words. Oh yes she is extimist to some level.

When we started about a year ago to play this game it was about three word from her side and mostly I used to fill the page making her understand the meaning of all the words I wrote. Then we reach  over thirty filling the page and then it was time for her to come up the words and write. First five and ten and then twenty. Every time she wrote her demand is I match her number in the list and the rule is not even a single word should be same in our list. She is such a competitive person but she hated it if I exceeded [which is all the time] than her list even by two more words. It was that time she used to make me closes the copy. You know what there was time we used to fill one page now each of us can fill one entire page. We said we won't play her name anymore once we form 100 words from her name. A little more than a month ago we both crossed 100 words forming from hear name but the hang of it has just gotten her.

Recently, I moved to new apartment so I am not in touch with Dipina on daily basis but the game has really got in her germs and I now need not worry much, how to keep her young mind busy when I am not around her. We live in an age when we are bombarded with others idea and opinions all the time. Our own creativity is dying. So, we must learn how to keep it alive and children will keep the practice alive by spreading it with other kids of her age. As a grown ups it's our responsibility to teach children around us to use their own brain. This is just a small way to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment